Reg No. - CHHBIL/2010/41479ISSN - 2582-919X
US President Trump called 4 times, PM Modi refused to talk… Big claim in German newspaper report

Government sources have rejected the claim made in the German newspaper report (File Photo- PTI)
US President Donald Trump recently called India’s economy a dead economy. The German newspaper has claimed that PM Modi was hurt by this statement. In response to this, PM Modi retaliated on August 10 without naming anyone. He said that India is moving towards becoming one of the top three economies of the world.
The sourness in India-US relations has been deepening for some time. Meanwhile, a report by German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine (FAZ) has made a big claim about PM Modi and Trump. According to the report, US President Donald Trump tried to talk to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the phone at least four times in recent weeks, but PM Modi refused to take the call every time. However, government sources have rejected this report.
The newspaper said in the report that this incident reflects both Prime Minister Modi’s anger and his vigilance. These attempts by President Trump to talk to Prime Minister Modi came at a time when his government had imposed a 50% tariff on India, which is the highest duty imposed on any country other than Brazil.
The India-US relations nurtured over the last 25 years turned sour when President Trump targeted India for having a trade surplus. Apart from this, the US also imposed a penalty on India for buying crude oil from Russia.
Thorsten Benner, co-founder and director of the Berlin-based Global Public Policy Institute, while sharing the report of the German newspaper on X, wrote, “FAZ claims that Trump tried to call Modi four times in recent weeks, but Modi refused to receive the call.”

Trump had given such a statement about India
US President Donald Trump had recently described India’s economy as a dead economy. He had said on July 31 that I do not care what India does with Russia. They can sink with their dead economy.
In response to this, PM Modi retorted on August 10 without mincing words and said that India is moving towards joining the top three economies of the world. The German newspaper wrote that this indicates that Modi was hurt by Trump’s statement.
The newspaper also said that Trump’s approach often helps him take advantage of other countries’ dependence on the American market. But during Trump’s first term, Modi opposed this and did not compromise on India’s economic interests while maintaining a cooperative relationship with Trump.
This is the reason given in the report for no talks
FAZ said that the surprising aspect of this situation is that Trump is repeatedly trying to persuade Modi. The report says, “The fact that the Indian PM is still refusing to talk shows his anger as well as his caution.”
The German newspaper explained in detail the reason behind this caution.
Trump had earlier sealed a trade deal between Vietnam and the US, which had been painstakingly worked out by delegations, in a single phone call with General Secretary Tu Lam (the Vietnamese leader).
Without reaching a concrete agreement, Trump announced on social media that the trade deal had been done. “Modi does not want to fall into the same trap,” FAZ wrote.
‘American concept’ is collapsing
According to Mark Frazier, co-director of the India-China Institute at the New School in New York, India never intended to stand by the US and oppose China.
Mark Frazier says, “America’s strategy is not working. America’s ‘Indo-Pacific’ plan, in which India was supposed to play a key role in America’s containment of China, is now collapsing.”
The paper also mentioned that Trump’s construction projects in India have also become a cause of controversy. The Trump family’s company has built luxury towers in his name near Delhi. 300 apartments in these towers, which cost up to 12 million euros, were sold in a single day in mid-May.
Trump’s statements also soured India-US relations
But when Trump claimed that the ceasefire in the recent military conflict between India and Pakistan was possible only due to his efforts, the Indian side was seen as angry.
The report said, “Trump announced that he would develop oil reserves with Pakistan, which India would buy from its arch-rival. This statement worsened the situation further.”
It further said, “Even Trump hosting a dinner with Pakistan’s army chief Asim Munir in the Oval Office was seen as a provocation in India.”
Are India-China relations improving due to Trump’s policies?
According to the report, old tensions are reducing in India. After meeting Chinese President Xi Jinping last year, PM Modi had said that he received the most respect.
This week PM Modi will attend the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) summit in Tianjin, China. In such a situation, the question arises whether Trump’s policies are bringing India closer to China.
Frazier says, “India needs China more, not China needs India. This stance of India is not just a response to American tariffs, but is strategic. With America’s retreat, the interests of India and China meet. Both want global influence and industrial development. India is very important for China because it can increase its economic and political power.”
Modi and Trump’s last phone call on June 17
According to India’s Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), PM Modi spoke to the US President on June 17 at his request. The two were scheduled to meet during the G7 summit in Canada, but Trump returned to the US ahead of schedule.
The Ministry of External Affairs said in a statement issued on June 18, “After this, at the request of President Trump, the two leaders spoke on a phone call today (July 17). The conversation lasted for about 35 minutes. Trump expressed his condolences on the terrorist attack in Pahalgam on April 22 and also expressed his support against terrorism.
The statement further said, “This was the first conversation between the two leaders after the attack and Operation Sindoor. Therefore, Prime Minister Modi explained Operation Sindoor in detail to President Trump.”
India has repeatedly rejected Trump’s ceasefire claim
Trump had claimed that it was because of his mediation and trade proposals that India and Pakistan agreed to a ceasefire after four days of military conflict in May. However, India has rejected this claim on several occasions.
The Ministry of External Affairs had said about the June 17 conversation between the two leaders, “Prime Minister Modi clearly told President Trump that during this entire episode, there was no discussion at any level on the Indo-US trade agreement or any proposal of mediation by the US between India and Pakistan.”
The statement said, “The discussion on stopping military action was held directly between India and Pakistan. And it started at the request of Pakistan. Prime Minister Modi firmly stated that India does not accept mediation and will never do so. There is complete political consensus in India on this matter.”
