• Home
  • AMERICA
  • Trump Deploys 500 More National Guard Troops After DC Shooting

Trump Deploys 500 More National Guard Troops After DC Shooting

0Shares
Image

National Guard patrol on the National Mall near the U.S. Capitol in Washington. (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)

The President has directed the addition of 500 National Guard troops to the capital to ensure Washington, DC, remains “safe and beautiful”

US Secretary of Defence Pete Hegseth announced that President Donald Trump has ordered the deployment of 500 additional National Guard troops to Washington, DC, following the shooting of two Guardsmen near the White House.

Hegseth said his team was informed that two National Guardsmen had been critically wounded in what he described as a deliberate and “cowardly, dastardly” attack targeting service members. He called the injured Guardsmen “heroes” who serve out of love for their country and community.

He added that the attack appeared to specifically target service personnel. “Someone decided to turn that into targeting National Guardsmen. That will only stiffen our resolve. We will never back down. We will secure our capital. We will secure our cities,” he said.

The shooting occurred just steps away from the White House. Hegseth stressed that such violence “will not stand.”

Confirming the new deployment, he said the President has directed the addition of 500 National Guard troops to the capital to ensure Washington, DC, remains “safe and beautiful.”

Hegseth said recent anti-crime efforts had already resulted in historic improvements but warned that the government would respond firmly to any violence against service members.

Earlier on Wednesday November 26 , 2025 , two members of the West Virginia National Guard were shot in Washington, DC. The Guardsmen returned fire, and the suspected shooter was detained and taken from the scene on a stretcher. Their conditions remain unknown, according to West Virginia Governor Patrick Morrisey.

( Source : ANI )